Imported from Malaysia through a social enterprise that helps small farmers in rural communities adopt sustainable and chemical free farming, and practices fair trade.
100% Natural . Pesticides Free . Gluten Free . GMO Free . No Additives . Vegan
- Ingredient: 100% heirloom black rice flour (Oryza sativa L.)
- Net weight 100g vacuum packed in a resealable food pouch.
- Best before: 3 Aug 2025
Why you’ll love our heirloom black rice flour
This gluten-free flour is milled from pesticides free semi-polished medium grain black rice that is fragrant, nutrient dense, high in dietary fibre, source of protein and antioxidants. It has moderate glycemic index (GI) of 55-69.
*Note that this flour is NOT made from the short grain sticky black rice*
Also known as forbidden rice, black rice is an ancient grain that actually has more impressive health benefits than most other closely related rice varieties such as brown rice or wild rice.
- Of all rice variety, black rice is richest in powerful disease-fighting anthocyanin antioxidants
- Also contains dietary fibre, and anti-inflammatory properties
- Rich in potassium and magnesium
- Research from NUS has found its ability to slow down absorption of carbohydrates, thus improving blood sugar control and is diabetic friendly, as reported in CNN.
- Only need to substitute a small amount (20%-25%) to plain/wheat flour in baking
Per 100g: Energy 354 kcal, Fat 0.2 g, Carbohydrates 80.0 g – of which dietary fibre 12 g, Protein 8.0 g.
Baby food – Add 1 tablespoon to about 100ml of simmering water in a saucepan, and stirring continuously until it forms a dark purple paste. Use as a base for adding other food ingredients to make a complete soft food meal.
Bread – Replace 20-25% of the bread flour or gluten-free flour with black rice flour.
Pancakes, cakes, muffins – Add to the batter of pancakes, cakes and muffins, to improve the glycemic index (GI) of your baked foods!
Black rice puddings – Add 7 tbsp to 2 cups of simmering milk, add honey to taste and a pinch of salt, whisk continuously until thicken. Serve with desired toppings
Thickener – add a small amount to thicken soup with a wholesome flavour.
Storage: Keep in cool, dry and dark place away from light. Once opened, keep in fridge.
Country of origin: Malaysia